Saturday 17 March 2012

What's for Din-Din?

Salmon Steak and Uncle Ben's Fast and Fancy Garden Vegetable Rice

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Did you drink a pint or two of green beer? ^_^ Did you remember to have dinner at all?

Every night around 8:30 p.m., if and when I'm home, S.O. would ask "What's for dinner?" Today, I beat him to it by asking him what he wanted for dinner. S.O. , typically, lets me decide what we were going to have for dinner and since I get off late (10 p.m.) I decided to just get some fresh salmon and some instant flavoured rice. 

Mind you, we have a huge bag of Jasmine rice but for some reason I felt like trying out Uncle Ben's Fast and Fancy Garden Vegetable Rice. It was an o.k. rice -- not great, not too bad, just average. You can taste that it's instant rice for sure. I don't think that this instant rice will be a staple in our cupboard. I'll probably just buy it for those really long days and late nights for a very easy/ lazy dinners or when S.O. cooks, which is almost never!

The fish was great though! It was swimming in it's juice and butter. Seasoned with cilantro, tomatoes, onions, fish seasoning, garlic, lemon juice, sirachi sauce, soy sauce, salt and pepper. I know it sounds like there's too much going on with the seasoning but trust me, it all ties together nicely. 

Moody Pinay Foodie's Funky Salmon Steak

250 g or 1/2 lb Salmon Steak 
Aluminum Foil
1 Tbsp onions
1 Tbsp tomatoes
1 Tbsp fish seasoning
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
A squirt or two of sirachi sauce
A splash of soy sauce
Couple of sprigs of cilantro
1 Tbsp butter
Salt and Pepper to taste


1) Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2) Prepare enough aluminum foil for your salmon steak. Remember to make enough room so you can fold the edges into a pouch. 
3) Put salmon steak in the middle of foil. 
4) Add onions, tomatoes, fish seasoning, garlic, lemon juice, sirachi sauce, soy sauce, cilantro. 
5) Add butter, salt and pepper. 
6) Fold the edges of the foil to make pouch. 
7) Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes (depending on size of salmon).

To know if your salmon is cooked, it should be light pink and flaky. If it's white, you've overcooked it but it'll still be edible. If it's black. . . well, you know what that means. . .

I was supposed to make dessert but I just don't have the energy for it. So I'll probably just eat some strawberries with whipped cream (with a splash of vanilla extract) and drizzled with maple syrup. 

Goodnight folks! Hope you enjoyed your dinner tonight -- that is if you were still sober by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment